The Early Connections Virtual Conference is designed for families of children with visual impairment, birth to 7 years old, and the professionals who support them. The event was designed to help families connect, talk to experts and learn new skills to apply at home and in the classroom to help each child reach their full potential. For many participants, it is their first step on their journey as a family living with visual impairment and additional disabilities. In June, 2020, the Early Connections Conference at Perkins School for the Blind moved to a virtual format, and widened this supportive community, with a record number of registrations across 37 countries and 45 states.
In addition, presentations were recorded as they were streamed to conference participants, making it possible for educators and families to bookmark these presentations as needed. It also makes it possible for Perkins eLearning to include these valuable resources in our Watch & Learn Library, and to provide them as Professional Development Offerings for continuing education credits.
View the titles below at your convenience, or register for professional development credits by clicking the Register button.
Click below to watch any of the 8 pre-recorded sessions at no charge:
- Advocacy: Building an Effective Team- Learn to be an effective advocate and member of your child's educational team by understanding the team process. Build effective communication skills and principles to guide developing an optimal individual education plan (IEP).
- All About Switches- Explore activities using simple “cause & effect” technology - switches - to activate a toy, access an iPad or interact with a computer. Credits available.
- Building Concept Development: Accessibility for Children with Cortical/Cerebral Visual Impairment (CVI)- Learn how to help your child understand new concepts across different learning environments. Credits available.
- Expanding Your Child’s Potential for Visual Improvement- For children with Cortical/Cerebral Visual Impairment (CVI), learn how a vision assessment and the right supports can foster vision improvement. Credits available.
- Financial Planning for Two Generations- Go beyond wills and trusts, avoid common mistakes and pitfalls to secure your child’s financial future.
- Let’s Get Moving: Orientation and Mobility in a Child’s First Seven Years- Learn how to teach visually impaired infants, toddlers and young children and lay the foundation for future safe and independent travel. Credits available.
- Technology at your Fingertips- Explore the technology available for children with visual impairment and multi-sensory needs while learning your rights for getting your child assessed and equipped with the right tools. Credits available.
- Transition IFSP to an IEP- Learn how to support your child's transition from Early Intervention (0-3 years) to school-based services by understanding the initial individual education plan (IEP) process