We invite you to share and discuss your technology-related information for students with visual impairments and blindness – your favorite technology, apps, activities, hints, and videos. You can add links to other appropriate technology websites and articles, ask questions, answer question, share your thoughts about other student posts and vote on other posts. Remember, the Student Section is for students and written by students! Please read and follow the Student Guidelines then share your ideas. Here’s how:
Initially, create a user profile and register on the website. You only have to register once. Once you are registered, you must log in to create a post.
- On the Paths To Technology website, open the Student Section.
- Activate (click on) “Student Posts”.
- Below the drop down Learn More menu, activate “Add Student Post”.
- In the Title text field, type in the name of your post.
- In the Description text field, type in your post. If you choose to copy and paste, it is best to strip the formatting first. Use the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editing bar to add the desired format back in. Example: To add italics, highlight the desired text and click on the italics symbol.
- To turn on spell check, activate the ABC symbol (on the right).
- To add a hyperlink (such as a website link or link to an app in the app store), highlight the desired phrase and activate the Link symbol.
All posts should have a picture associated with the post. Choose a photo that represents your post. This can be a photo of the device or app, or of photo of a student doing the activity. If the photo (or video) includes a student, you must submit a release form signed by the student’s parents. The Perkins photo release form can be found here
To add a picture:
- Under Featured Image, activate Choose File. (A list of documents/images on your computer will appear.)
- Select the desired picture and activate “Choose”.
- Activate “Upload”. (The Alternative Text text field will appear; the text added in this box will be used by screen readers and search engines.)
- In the Alternate Text text field, type in a description of the uploaded picture.
To add the Perkins photo release form:
- Under Media Release, activate the release form by “Clicking here”.
- Print the Media Release form. When the form is signed, scan or take a digital picture of the form; add the digital copy of the signed form to your computer.
- Under Media Release, activate “Choose File”. (A list of documents/images on your computer will appear.)
- Select the desired digital image of the signed permission form and activate “Choose”. Activate “Upload”.
Step 5 (optional)
If you want to include a video at the bottom of your post:
- Post your video on YouTube and copy the YouTube URL link.
- Under Embed Video in the Video URL text field, paste the video URL.
Note: The video does not have to be embedded into the post; you can share a video link using the WYSIWYG editing bar. (See Step 3.)
Check off the appropriate boxes; this will tag your post so that it will appear in the appropriate search categories. Check off:
- If you are in Elementary, Middle or High School
- If this post is a Favorite App
- If this post is part of a discussion
- If this is your technology success story
- If this post includes a video you created
Click "Publish" or "Save as Draft" at the bottom of the page. Choose the "Save as Draft" option if you have not finished creating the post and would like to return to finish it later. Choose "Publish" when you are all finished.
- If want to make changes after the post is published, open the post and activate the Edit button.
- Make the desired changes and activate the Publish button again.
You will receive an automatically generated message thanking you for your post.
Please respect your privacy, your family’s privacy and the privacy of others. There should be no identifying information included about any student without parental permission.
Contact us if you have questions: Technology@Perkins.org