Typing the password to unlock your computer can be challenging for many students, especially students who have motor issues and/or are visually impaired. If you have a Mac and an Apple Watch, you can instantly unlock your computer - without typing a password!
How to set up Auto Unlock
- Make sure that your Apple ID is using two-factor authentication instead of two-step verfication.
- Mac Bluetooth and Wi-Fi is turned on.
- Mac and Apple Watch are signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID.
- Apple Watch is using a passcode.
- Mac is NOT using Internet Sharing.
- Mac has "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock you Mac"
Apple Menu > System Preference > Security & Privacy > General Tab then check "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac"
- Type in the Mac password.
The video below demonstrates how to set auto unlock.
Steve Aquino shares how the auto unlock accessibility feature is beneficial to him as a low vision user with CP, in his blog, How auto unlock makes the Mac more accessible.