Recruiting for 2 Courses about Supporting Braille Readers Learning the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts
What is Project INSPIRE?
Project INSPIRE is a 5 year training grant to support braille literacy for professionals and students to build their skills and knowledge in the braille codes for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) courses.
What two courses are being offered at no cost?
- Introduction to Nemeth Code Symbols and Instruction for Grades 2-5 [Repeat from Summer 2020]
- Nemeth Code Symbols for Fractions and Spatial Problems, Instructional Tools, Materials, and Technology
Who are the target groups for the courses?
- Teachers of students with visual impairments
- Paraprofessionals who support braille readers
- Individuals who are preparing braille materials
- University students preparing to become teachers of students with visual impairments
How are the courses structured?
Participants will: (a) complete a pre-test, (b) complete 7 self-paced lessons, and (c) complete a post-test.
What are the logistics of the courses?
- Dates: October 12, 2020 to November 13, 2020
- Delivery Model: All materials will be online. There will be optional assignments with answer keys provided.
- Time Commitment: 12 to 15 hours
- Topics: Nemeth Code symbols, formatting materials, teaching strategies and materials, & using apps to build math skills
- Happy Hours: There will be four optional happy hours scheduled weekly on course-related topics.
How can I learn more and sign up for a course?
Please complete the sign up form here. You will then receive additional information the morning of October 12. You may only sign up for one course at a time.
For more information email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 864-503-5572 with questions
Facebook: Project Inspire: Increasing STEM Braille Potential)