By Hillary Kleck
- Don't be intimidated by the technology. Don't worry about being an expert! You don't have to be.
- Learn about the different options for assistive tech that meet your child's needs.
- Become educated about the devices your child uses.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions!
- Keep communication open with your child's TVI or AT Specialist.
- Connect with other parents through vision organizations, Facebook groups, listservs, etc.
- Be an example for your child.
- Stay updated on existing technologies as they evolve and advance, as well as new technologies.
- Don't allow funding to get in the way of the assistive technology your child needs.
- It's never too early to introduce your child to assistive technology. Remember, you are your child's greatest advocate!