Voice Dream Reader is a popular and fully accessible reading tool for students with vision impairments, dyslexia or other print disabilities. Voice Dream Reader is a text to speech app, with additional features offering a variety of voices, highlighting, text formatting, and other options. Voice Dream Scanner is a new OCR app that can be used in tandem with Voice Dream Reader.
Teacher of the Visually Impaired Jessica McDowell shares a video tutorial on using Voice Dream Scanner and Voice Dream Reader. By scanning print documents or opening inaccessible PDFs in Voice Dream, the text can be OCRed (Optical Character Recognition) and listened to with text-to-speech or visual settings adjusted.
This easy-to-follow video demonstration includes:
- Scanning a document with VoiceOver running
Reading a scanned document
- Using enhanced voices (adding enhanced voices post here)
- Pinch to zoom in and out
- Original Text and Plain Text modes
Gestures in Plain Text
- Play from a specific word: 1 finger double tap
- Pause/play: 2 finger double tap
- 1, 3 or 5 lines visible: 2 finger pinch (vertical)
Opening an inaccessible PDF in Voice Dream and scanning
- Original Layout will show original document with images
- Plain text mode removes images