Great readers are made, not born. For students with disabilities, the path to reading greatness may require tools and support. We know the final weeks of the school year are hectic, so here’s a handy checklist to help you get your students ready for delightful summer reading and the upcoming school year.
According to Reading Rockets, studies show that most students experience a loss of reading skills over the summer months, but children who continue to read will gain skills. Help students avoid the dreaded “summer slide” by completing these steps before the final school bell rings.
If your students are already set up to access Bookshare independently, jump ahead to learn about our special Summer Reading Lists.
End-of-Year Checklist for Teachers
Get students access to Bookshare with a Student Login or Individual Membership
- With a Student Login, they can log into Bookshare with their own username and password and read books assigned by teachers (Login video/PDF)
- With an Individual Membership, they can log in, find, and read books on their own (Membership video/PDF)
Get books to students
- Check out the special Summer Reading Lists below
- Assign Reading Lists to students (Assign PDF)
Get students reading tools
- Check out the list of member preferred reading tools
- Read books with Bookshare Web Reader, Voice Dream Reader, Capti Narrator, and many more
Get a head start on the 2017-2018 school year
- Set up next year's curriculum with books, like the Fountas & Pinnell leveled readers (A - J), as well as other books in our vast collection.
- Sign up for online courses through Perkins eLearning: Get Started Quickly and Easily with Bookshare and Bookshare Train the Trainer.
Blog reposted with permission from Bookshare.