Recently some SAS Graphics Accelerator users have lost the Accelerate Button on their Google map. (The Accelerate button is used to convert the Google map into an accessible non-visual digital map.)
Here are ways to resolve the issue.
- First, make sure that you are in the Google Chrome browser.
Next, confirm that you have installed the SAS Graphics Accelerator, a free Google Chrome Extension.
- The blue "S", the SAS Graphics Accelerator icon, should be in your ribbon at the top right side of the screen. If you have installed SAS Graphics Accelerator but do not see it in the ribbon, open the "Extensions" menu (icon looks like a paintbrush).
The image below shows Google Chrome webrowser open to mymaps.google.com with a red annotated arrow pointing to the SAS Graphics Accelerator icon and a green annotated arrow pointing to the Extensions icon.
Once you have confirmed that SAS Graphics Accelerator is installed, you are in the Google Chrome browser, and you have opened the desired map in mymaps.google.com and you are still missing the Accelerate button . . .
The Accelerate button does not appear on maps in Google My Maps.
The Accelerate button does not appear if you are logged into
multiple gmail accounts.
Follow these steps to log out of all of your Google Accounts, then log
back in to only one of them. Make sure you know the username or email address
and the password for the Google Account you want to remain signed in.
- Open the map you want to view.
- Find the Google Account button. For sighted users, this will appear in the top right corner of the map and will either look like your profile photo (if you've added one to your account) or your initials. For screen reader users, this will be announced as "Google Account: <your name and email address>" where your name and email address are the name and email address associated with your Google Account.
- Click on the Google Account button you found above. Then, click the Sign out of all accounts button.
- If Google continues showing the map, it will replace the Google Account button with a Sign In button. Click the new Sign In button. Otherwise, Google might redirect you to a Choose an Account screen. If this happens, simply move on to the next step.
- Choose the account with which you want to sign back in.
- Enter the password for your account and click Next.
- Google should re-display the map, and now an Accelerate button should appear in the lower-right corner. If Google does not re-display the map, you may need to re-open it yourself.
Want to earn more about non-visual digital maps? The SAS Graphics Accelerator Summary post has links to posts and webinars on the SAS Graphics Accelerator and non-visual digital maps.