It is challenging to teach assistive technology skills on top of all the other things you (the TVI) are responsible for! Here is a free online resource designed for BLV adults or students who are self-motivated. The course goes into details of various app and is not intended for young students. The course is entertaining with engaging sound clips - guarenteed to keep your student actively engaged! This audio-only course can also be used as "flip the classroom" style of teaching; assign a session for the student to watch and practice at home, then review during VI time.
The iPad for All Computing Course by Tech Juggernaut is an auditory-only course available on YouTube.
Note: The numbering of the YouTube sessions are not consistent. Day 4 and Day 6 are skipped but there are four Day 7 videos. See the title of each session and what that session contains below:
Day 1 Part 1
This session has a great review of VoiceOver gestures!
- 0:00 Welcome
- 3:00 What to Expect
- 6:25 Meet the Trainers
- 18:28 What You’ll Need
- 20:00 Review of Voiceover Concepts
- 25:14 iPad Physical Descriptions
- 28:10 iPad Orientations
- 30:07 iPad Setup
- 32:22 Unlocking an iPad
Day 1 Part 2
- 0:00 Welcome Back
- 1:10 Quick Review
- 4:25 Home Screen Components
- 14:11 Home Screen Voiceover Demo
- 19:37 Special Gestures
- 25:55 Overview of Control Center
- 32:07 All About Notifications
- 39:05 Spotlight
- 41:37The Split View Experience
- 45:07 Check Out Your iPad Settings
- 53:35 TTJ Challenge
Day 2 Part 1
- Includes TTJ Extras on badge counrs, iCloud, and adding third-party email accounts
Day 2 Part 2
- Includes discussion on the importance of entering proper contact information for yourself and others as well as a plyaful, yet meaningful, conversation with Siri
Day 3 Part 1
- Typing on the on-screen keyboard, as well as the Messages app
Day 3 Part 2
- We continue with an in-depth look at th eMessages app, complete with demos
(Jumps to Day 5)
Day 5 Part 1
- The first of two parts about surfing the web with Safari
(Jumps to Day 6)
- Apple Pay, Apple Card, downloading files in Safari, and look at the Files app
Day 7 (March 16, 2022)
- We have several TJJ Extras in this session, including a discussion fo how to add cellular service to your iPad, how to use the App Library, and more. We also explore the Apple Mail app in-depth.
Day 7 Part 2
- We continue our discussion of Safari, by exploring tabs and tab groups, quick actions, filling out forms and more.
Day 7 Part 1 App Bonanza
- Join us as we discuss and demonstrate the Calendar app.
Day 7 Part 2 Reminders and Photo Booth
- We continue our App Bonanza with the Reminders and Photo Booth Apps.