The course will offer practical teaching strategies for students with visual impairments and multiple disabilities in the sensorimotor stage of development. Through lectures, videos, discussions, readings and case studies, participants will develop knowledge and skills which can be applied to their own students.
Participants will demonstrate an understanding of the unique needs of the students with visual impairments and multiple disabilities at the sensorimotor level of development and how these students can be taught meaningful routines which become a foundation for learning new concepts.
Blaha, R. (2001). Calendars for students with multiple impairments including deafblindness. Austin, TX: Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired.
Chen, D., & Downing, J. (2006). Tactile strategies for children who have visual impairments and multiple disabilities: Promoting communication and learning skills. Lexington, KY: American Printing House for the Blind
EARLY BIRD PRICE - Ends Aug 30, 2021
PDPs, CEs, ACVREP, CTLE, OSPI
Graduate Credits: You will have the opportunity to add 2 graduate credits to your registration for an additional $255.00 through Fitchburg State University (Fitchburg, MA) . Instructions will be provided to registered participants two weeks before the start date.
As a result of the learning experiences in the course:
You will become more cognizant of:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the Sensorimotor Stage of Development.
- Differentiate the five elements of the Van Dijk Approach.
- Differentiate the five phases of Active Learning.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the four tactile strategies to be used with students who are visually impaired with multiple disabilities.
You will become better able to:
- Create a comprehensive lesson plans for students at the Attention, Participation and Exploration Levels of learning that include IEP objectives.
- Break down three different levels of learning as explained in the Sensory Learning Kit.
- Create a comprehensive student specific lesson plan for different appetite items.
You will become more competent in your ability to:
- Assess a student using the Sensory Learning Kit.
- Demonstrate an understanding of different types of stress students in the sensorimotor stage exhibit.
Other Payment Option
To pay by Purchase Order, choose the Purchase Order option during checkout. Group rate applied automatically on orders of 3 seats or more.
Contact us at perkins.elearning@Perkins.org for any questions.