Class begins October 12, 2020 and runs for 5 weeks to November 15, 2020. The syllabus is still under review, and will be attached to this page when it is confirmed.This course is designed for participants who have a foundational knowledge of CVI and a familiarity with the CVI Range. Participants will gain an understanding of the core components of effective literacy programs and the research supporting methods and strategies in each core area. Using the CVI Range information, participants will learn how a CVI overlay is created to provide visual access and support literacy achievement for students in late Phase II through Phase III. Parents, teachers of all specialties, and para-educators will add to their knowledge of literacy and what needs to be considered when participating in team decisions about planning and implementing literacy programs for CVI learners.
Roman Lantzy, C. A. (Ed.), (2018) Cortical Visual Impairment: Advanced Principles, Louisville, KY, The American Printing House for the Blind.
PDPs, CEs, ACVREP, CTLEs, OSPI
You will have the opportunity to add 2 graduate credits to your registration for an additional $255.00 through Fitchburg State University (Fitchburg, MA). Instructions will be provided to registered participants two weeks before the start date.
Participants will …
- Identify the components of effective literacy programs and investigate different types of literacy programs.
- Use the CVI Range to create a CVI overlay for individuals assessed in late Phase II through Phase III.
- Explain how complexity impacts literacy and how salient features, comparative thought and mediated learning are essential parts of literacy instruction for CVI learners.
- Create a presentation about CVI to share with their school staff(s).
- Identify research-based effective methods and strategies in phonological awareness, phonics, comprehension, vocabulary, fluency and writing.
- Design a student record sheet for a case study individual assessed in late Phase II or Phase III.
- Evaluate interventions and design a learning experience for each core area
Other Payment Option
To pay by Purchase Order, choose the Purchase Order option during checkout.
Contact Perkins eLearning at perkins.elearning@Perkins.org for any questions.