This course emphasizes the importance of accessible literacy for children who are blind, visually impaired or deafblind. Participants will become familiar with different strategies and tools that can be used to create and modify literacy materials for early readers that will support a love for literacy. Participants will also create accessible books for their student/child as part of their assignments.
This course is designed for anyone who works with a child who is blind, visually impaired or deafblind including (but not limited to) TVI's, Classroom teachers, speech therapist, interveners and family members.
The course will consist of the following 6 sessions:
- Introduction — Need for Accessibility
- Experience books
- Story Boxes, Story Bags, and Conversation Boxes
- Story Boxes and Conversation Boxes, Part 2
- Concept Books and Adapting Children's Literature: Creating Accessible Books
- Thematic Unit: Tying it All Together
Required Texts may be purchased through AFB Press using the links below.
Braille Literacy: A Functional Approach. Diane P. Wormsley. AFB Press. pps. 17–25.
List price: $39.95 Paperback, $24.00 Online, $10.95 By Online Chapter. Also available in e-book formats.
Beginning with Braille: Firsthand Experiences with a Balanced Approach to Literacy. Second Edition. Anna M. Swenson. AFB Press. Chapter 5 pps. 71–81; Chapter 15 pps. 332–347.
List price: $59.95 Paperback, $35.95 Online, $10.95 By Online Chapter. Also available in e-book formats.
EARLY BIRD PRICE
PDPs, CEs, ACVREP, CTLEs, ASHA
- Identify possible ways to create an accessible environment for a child with vision impairments in the classroom or home setting.
- Create/design an experience book and list possible uses for an experience book.
- Create/design a story box and list possible uses for story boxes, story bags, and conversation boxes.
- Adapt classroom readers.
- Identify what concept book is and list possible ideas for its use.
- Create adapted materials to support specific IEP goals.
Other Payment Option
To pay by Purchase Order, choose the Purchase Order option during checkout.
Contact Perkins eLearning at 617-972-7824 or perkins.elearning@Perkins.org for any questions.