This course is designed to help TVIs provide effective support introducing the iPad to young students. The approach will involve working with a specific student of preschool age who will benefit from using a screen reader.
Workshop Registration is by invitation only. To offer this workshop to your team, contact Mary.firstname.lastname@example.org for scheduling and pricing
Credits: 15 or 30 PDP’s, ACVREP’s, or Continuing Ed. Hours
15 credits for attendance and participation only
15 additional credits for completing assignments
ABC’s of iOS Perkins Institute Expectations
- Each participant must be working with a young student who will benefit from using a screen reader.
- Each student should have a signed media permission form.
- Each participant must have access to a Bluetooth keyboard and braille display (the braille display may be shared with the student).
- Each student must have daily access to an iPad; access to a Bluetooth keyboard and a refreshable braille display, if appropriate.
- Participant must download the free apps and paid apps that are appropriate for his/her student.
- The appropriate apps must be installed on the student’s iPad. (Note: Free apps that have ads or limited access should be purchased, if appropriate for the student. Not all apps discussed in the workshop will be appropriate for every student. We will discuss what is appropriate for each student in class.)
- Participants are expected to work with their student on iPad skills at least once a week, (ideally more) with follow-through by other educators or family members.
- Ability to record (2-3 minute video clips) of student. Note: These videos will be used for the instructor to provide feedback – so include recordings of things that the student does successfully and that are challenging! Record teaching methods!
- Also, each participant should contact CNIB Store to get a FREE digital copy of the ABC’s of iOS: VoiceOver for Toddlers and Beyond Manual. Here is the Link to the ABC’s of iOS Manual. NOTE: YOU MUST CALL CNIB in order to receive the digital manual. The number is 1-800-563-2642.