This micro-credential is awarded to individuals who have successfully completed and passed the Functional Literacy self-paced tutorial.
In order to earn this micro-credential, participants will need to demonstrate the ability to define Literacy and Functional Literacy, create a literacy-rich environment, develop routines, and develop strategies for teaching early literacy skills for children with visual impairments and additional disabilities.
- Identify a definition of literacy.
- Identify an expanded definition of literacy.
- Identify a definition of functional literacy.
- Identify ways to create a literacy-rich environment.
- Demonstrate the ability to design a literacy rich-environment.
- Name strategies to make literacy activities available
- Identify the purpose of a Learning Media Assessment (LMA).
- Identify factors that make an LMA effective.
- Identify special considerations in an LMA for learners who are deafblind or who have multiple disabilities.
- Identify strategies to develop early literacy skills for learners with visual impairments and additional disabilities
- Identify characteristics of literacy techniques, such as story boxes, object books, and experience books
- Identify indicators of possible learning disabilities
- Identify strategies to support and instruct learners who are struggling readers