The Topaz is a large CCTV used by our students at TSBVI. It is available from Freedom Scientific.
The following description is from the Freedom Scientific website.
- Magnification to 77 times (on a 24-inch monitor)
- Choice of widescreen 20-inch, 22-inch, or 24-inch monitors
- Auto-focus camera
- Accurate colors and even illumination with no glare to minimize fatigue
- 33 screen color modes including high-contrast full color, true-color, and grayscale to fit your viewing needs
- Over 8 inches of working space to write and work comfortably
- Unique can and bottle holder holds round objects steady
- Extra-wide reading table to smoothly glide large books and objects under the camera
Other Helpful Features
- Adjustable monitor can be raised or lowered, tilted forward or back, or turned 90 degrees to the right or left
- Freeze Frame to stop movement for close inspection of small objects or to keep your place
- Focus Lock to maintain focus while writing
- Find feature to quickly zoom out, find your place, and zoom back in to read
- Reading Lines, Shades, and Masks to reduce eye fatigue and focus on what you want to read
- The Topaz I use in class is a model that is slightly older, which is no longer available, but which has many of the same features as this model.
- The ability to turn the screen up to a 90 degrees in either direction makes viewing convenient even if the CCTV is set to the side of the student.
- This is particularly helpful for students who use LP books and have their books on a bookstand or on the desk.
- I have had very few problems with the Topaz.
- Occasionally, there is a glitch that causes the light above the tray to turn off and it has to be reset, but I think this is because I inadvertently turned it off by pressing several of the buttons at once.