The tactile Punnett squares are designed for Braille and large print students to complete monohybrid (4-Box) and dihybrid (16-box) crosses.
The following description is from the APH website:
- A Punnett square is a diagram that is used to predict the outcome of a particular genetic cross or breeding experiment. It is used by biologists to determine the probability of offspring genotypes. The Punnett Square is a visual representation of Mendelian inheritance.
- The 4-Box Tactile Punnett Squares Sheets allows your students to predict offspring genotypes and probabilities for one character from the known genetic makeup of two parents; for example, a monohybrid cross or a test cross. Each of the four boxes of the Punnett Square easily accommodates four braille cells across. Two 4-Box Punnett Squares are printed and embossed on heavy 90# 8.5 x 11 inch paper, 25 sheets per re-sealable envelope.
- The 16-Box Tactile Punnett Squares Sheets allows your students to predict offspring genotypes and probabilities for two characters from the known genetic makeup of two parents; for example, a dihybrid cross. Each of the 16 boxes of the Punnett Square accommodates eight braille cells across. One 16-Box Punnett Square is printed and embossed on heavy 90# 11.5 x 11 inch paper, 25 sheets per re-sealable envelope.
- These tactile and visual Punnett squares are appropriate for both low vision and blind students as the image is both printed and raised.
- Manipulating the Punnett square in the braille writer and finding and filling in boxes appropriately is often diffiicult for some students. This is not a limitation of this particular Punnett square, but a limitation of Punnett squares in general for braille students who struggle with spatial issues.
- I have had numerous students who struggled with completing the Punnett square on the braille writer for this reason.
- Please see the following activity appropriate for such students: http://www.perkinselearning.org/accessible-science/punnett-square-tactil...
Tactile Punnett Squares Sheets, 4-Box Format - includes 25 sheets
- Catalog Number: 1-08890-00
- Price: $15.00
Tactile Punnett Squares Sheets, 16-Box Format - includes 25 sheets
- Catalog Number: 1-1-08891-00
- Price: $15.00