The PenFriend 2 is an upgrade of the older PenFriend 1. It was designed mainly for use by children and adults with visual impairment for independent living needs. However, it can be used very successfully in the science classroom to label tactile graphics, etc for a student who is an auditory learner and does not effectively use either print or braille.
The following description is from the MaxiAids website:
- Upgraded design with four easy to use yellow tactile operating buttons that contrast against black casing
- Record your voice onto self-adhesive labels; Mark household items with unique voice labels
- Simple on/off function for recording prevents you from having to hold record button when recording
- The PenFriend 2 is a self-contained system: no computer required
- Includes 4GB internal memory, 127 labels, 3 magnetic badges, neck lanyard, sticker management software and 2 AAA batteries
Introducing the all-new, upgraded PenFriend 2 Voice Labeling System! This best-selling, low cost, audio labeler for the blind and visually impaired lets you label anything and everything with discreet audio labels all in your own voice. Easily record and re-record information using this versatile, pocket-sized, easy-to-use labeling system. You can instantly play back the recordings anywhere simply using the PenFriend 2 - no computer required.
Four simple yellow tactile operating buttons that contrast against the black casing of the device. These buttons are designed to make it easier for the blind or visually impaired user to locate and use.
Another new feature is an easy to use on/off recording function that prevents you from having to hold the record button when recording.
Adapting PenFriend 2
*** Mount the PenFriend stickers on Velcro before use in order to reuse them later in a different setting rather than sticking them to one surface permanently.
Many thanks to Joanne Rodgers for this useful idea.
Assorted Labels for PenFriend 2
Pen Friend Labels Pack A includes 381 encoded self-adhesive labels to be used with your PenFriend Voice Labeling System for the Blind:
- 273 x 13mm (approx. 1/2") circles (3 sheets) and
- 54 x 32mm (approx. 1-1/4") circles (3 sheets)
- 54 x 32mm (approx. 1-1/4") squares (3 sheets)
Magnetic Discs for PenFriend
Magnetic Discs are available in a set of 15 labels that come in two colors (orange and yellow). Each disc is 4 cm in diameter and can be used to secure magnetic labels onto metal surfaces, such as tin cans.
Available from MaxiAids: https://www.maxiaids.com/penfriend2-voice-labeling-system