The following description of the contents of this set is from the APH website:
Sense of Science: Astronomy is the third module in this tactile/visual science series. Unlike previous modules of this series, this set of materials is appropriate for a broader range of ages and grade levels of students with visual impairments and blindness. Activities incorporate a learning objective, a list of vocabulary and needed materials, a step-by-step procedure, extended activities, visual adaptations, math and language connections, and science tidbits. Activities are complemented by the included visual/tactile overlays and fold-out 2-dimensional displays.
- A large print guidebook (braille edition available separately) with easy-to-follow activities, a glossary, and a list of resources and related web sites.
A variety of visual and tactile overlays that can be used alone or with the optional APH Light Box or Mini-Lite Box (sold separately). Overlays include:
- Cross-Section of the Sun
- Lunar Eclipse
- Milky Way Galaxy
- Orbit of a Comet
- Phases of the Moon
- Planetary Orbits
- Relative Sizes of the Planets
- Solar Eclipse
- Space Shuttle
- Ursa Major/Ursa Minor
- Moon Phases (small cards for sorting)
- Galaxy Type (small cards for sorting)
Fold-Out Astronomy Displays
- Our Solar System Display (with separate print/braille labels)
- Northern Circumpolar Dome
- Relative Distances of the Planets
- Two trays designed to slip under a light box ledge and provide a secure working area when using the overlays.
- Astronomy Quick Fact Cards include print/braille Fact Card for each planet, the Moon, the Sun, and Pluto. These cards can be used as independent study/review, as a quiz game, or as a springboard for students to create and expand their own fact sheets.
- Astronomy Worksheets include print, braille, and CD-ROM files of the following worksheets for student completion: Planet Fact Worksheet, Planet Ranking by Distance from the Sun, Planet Ranking by Orbital Period, Planet Ranking by Rotation Period, Planet Ranking by Size, Planet Ranking by Temperature, and Famous Astronomers. The CD-ROM contains the worksheets in these file formats: MS Word, PDF, and braille-ready (.brf).
Notes: Each overlay set is housed in its own protective and labeled clear-view folder. Braille labels are included for customer application. Additional sets of Quick Fact Cards and Astronomy Worksheets are available for purchase separately.
- The Guidebook to the APH Sense of Science: Astronomy Kit is clearly written and includes step-by-step lesson plans to utilize with the materials in the kit.
- Tactile graphics are very well produced and do not show signs of wear after several years.
- The Our Solar System display with labels does not accurately indicate the distances between the planets. This is most often the case in a model of the Solar System as the distance between the outer planets is great. This should be explained to students. See The Solar System: Modeling the relative sizes of the planets for an activity that will explain these distances to students.