Food chains describe the flow of energy through an ecosystem. This short activity can serve as a good introduction to food chains or as a warm-up on the day after initial instruction occurs. I had planned this game last year but only named it when my students arrived and asked what we would be doing in class. "Hunger Games", seemed the appropriate reply.
In this activity, students work together to put a food chain in order. Each student is labeled as one of the organisms that is part of the food chain.
- producer- an organisms that makes its own food
- consumer - an organism that eats other organisms
- decomposer - an organism that breaks down and uses nutrients from dead matter
- food chain - the path of energy through a community, usually beginning with a producer
- food web - shows the feeding relationships within a community, a group of food chains linked together.
High school students:
- detritivore - a consumer that feeds on dead plants and animals
- primary consumer - eats producers
- second level (secondary) consumer - eats primary consumer
- third level(tertiary) consumer - eats second level consumer
- heterotroph - consumers - consume other organisms
- autotroph - producers - make their own food