While teaching the electromagnetic spectrum, it occurred to me that Wikki Stix would make a quick and easy model to supplement the raised line from the book. Wikki Stix can easily be reshaped by the instructor or the student to model waves of varying wavelengths and energy levels.
- frequency - the number of waves that pass a given point in a second
- wavelength - the distance from any point on a wave to the corresponding point on the next wave (for instance crest to crest)
- amplitude - the maximum displacement of points on a wave
- electromagnetic spectrum - all of the frequencies or the wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation
- crest - the point on a wave with the maximum value
- trough - the minimum or lowest point on a wave cycle