While talking with a colleague about the structure of the plant cell and the function of the central vacuole, this simple model occured to me. Materials needed are easily accessible and students will be able to better understand the concepts with related activities.
- cell membrane - a thin layer that surrounds and holds a cell together
- cytoplasm - a gel-like substance containing chemicals needed by the cell
- vacuole - stores substances such as food, water and waste products
- cell wall - the outer part of a plant cell that provides structure to the cell
- central vacuole - a single large vacuole in plant cells