High Tech O&M Lesson Plan: Look Around & Mental Mapping
iPhone, Blind Square (BS) App
In the past when working with clients on familiarization to a new travel area, I introduced the area with a tactile map and then we went out and walked the area. BS provided me with an extra tool to reinforce the mental map we are trying to build when familiarizing to a new area. After working with the tactile map with this client, I chose to use to the Look Around feature in combination with pointing to destinations. The ability to get a “picture” of the campus, not just a specific route is an important part of mental mapping. The skill of mental mapping will enhance my client’s ability to understand a campus, neighborhood and maybe even a small town.
Familiarize new clients to our campus by walking out the front door and listening to what is around us by using BS to provide information in look around mode.
Prior to lesson
- Brief familiarization to campus with a tactile map
- Review use of clock pattern for orientation
- Brief introduction to BS
1. Walk out the main entrance to our start point
2. Review clock pattern at that location
3. Holding the device out in front of us, we access the look around feature to have it list and announce My Places so that we can locate the different destinations on campus.
4. Point with hand towards the destinations as BS is announcing them.
5. Repeat locations with BS and pointing.
6. Have the client point out the locations without BS. Provide correction as needed by using hand over hand to adjust the arm direction towards the destinations.
Follow up lessons: We will use BS to review destinations out the front door