UPDATE!!!! Space Camp 2019 Registration is now open! (May 3, 2019)
Space Camp for Interested Visually Impaired Students (SCIVIS) is a week long camp held at the US Space and Rocket Center. It is coordinated by Teachers of the Visually Impaired and the programs are fully accessible, including computers, mission materials and equipment. Each student fully participates!
SCIVIS is celebrating it's 30th anniversary! An average of 170 - 180 campers attend this phenomenal program each year. In 2018, half the campers were international with 12 countries outside of the US represented. SCIVIS runs three program types simultaneously: Space Camp, Aviation Challenge and Robotics.
Programs for Visual Impaired
- Space Camp: Space Camp is astronaut training. The three Space Camps are: Space Camp (4 - 6th grade), Space Academy (7 - 9th grade), and Advanced Academy (10 - 12th grade).
- Aviation Challenge: Aviation Challenge is the Top Gun Fighter Program. Mach I (4 - 6 grade), Mach II (7 - 9 grade) and Mach III (10 - 12th grade).
- Robotics Camp: Robotic (4 - 6th grade) and Robotics Academy (7 - 9th grade).
SCIVIS started as part of the mainstream Space Camp but quickly grew into it's own week. Activities follow the mainstream Space Camp with adaptations as needed. Learn more about general Space Camp activities here and SCIVIS specifically here.
SCIVIS does take place during the school year. The camp is designed to include Expanded Core in all of its activities and IEP goals have been written for these activities.
September 28 - October 3, 2019
US Space and Rocket Center
Students 4th grade through 12th grade who are visually impaired or blind, including students with multiple disabilities and deaf/blind students. Chaperones (Teacher of the Visually Impaired, O&Ms, or other school staff) can attend as a chaperone. A group of campers will attend with their school chaperone leader.
Cost for Advanced Academy is $1,135; all other camps are $965. There is an additional fee for transportation to/from the airport. Chaperones pay $75 fee to attend with their student or student group.
Note: Transportation to/from airport will be $50 for early arrival/late departure will be $99.
Various scholarships available; two scholarships have April 1, 2019 deadline and one has April 15, 2019 deadline. Please carefully read the scholarship information as some scholarships are limited to a specific group of students. Note: The NOAH Scholarship Application (National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentaion) has not been posted at this time. Apply for scholarships now!
Camp Website and Registration
- SCIVIS 2019 registration is not currently open. Registration is anticipated to be opened in April or May. Please check the SCIVIS website at that time.
- The Advanced Academy is limited to 64 students and spots for this camp sell out quickly. It is suggested that you sign up quickly to reserve your spot!
- Note: Even though registration is not yet open, students should apply for scholarships now!
No application deadline. However, spots for the Advanced Academy will fill up quickly!
Dan Oates, SCIVIS Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org