This badge is awarded to individuals who have completed the Welcoming Students with Visual Impairments to Your School Self-Paced Tutorial. This tutorial educates participants on how students with visual impairments can be included in the regular education classroom.
In order to earn this micro-credential, participants will need to demonstrate the ability to demonstrate achievement of the following learning objectives:
- Discover ways that will help students with visual impairments build independence and social skills.
- Discover resources for large print versions of book can be acquired.
- Describe the relationship between specific visual impairments and environmental adaptations in both home and school environments.
- Examine the day-to-day impact of visual impairment within the classroom.
- Distinguish the role of vision and hearing in the acquisition of social skills: e.g., observing body language and facial expressions, searching for people to connect with socially, looking for cues to participate in conversation or activity.
- Explain how extra curricular activities can help foster appropriate social skill development.
- Recognize fundamental O&M skills and basic terminology.
- Recognize O&M travel skills and techniques.
- Find additional information and resources on O&M.
- Summarize the importance of the development of O&M skills for a student with visual impairment.
- Observe screen magnification options.
- Identify where one could acquire a screen magnifier online.