This badge is awarded to individuals who have completed the CHARGE Syndrome Self-Paced Tutorial. This tutorial educates participants on the impact of CHARGE Syndrome on communication, behavior, social, and motor skills.
In order to earn this micro-credential, participants will need to demonstrate the ability to demonstrate achievement of the following learning objectives:
- Identify the major symptoms of and variations in presentation of CHARGE syndrome
- Name the four major diagnostic criteria for CHARGE syndrome
- Illustrate the basic genetic cause for CHARGE syndrome
- Describe sensory issues in individuals with CHARGE syndrome, and detail variations in how they may affect individuals
- Identify the initial effects on a family of having a child with CHARGE syndrome
- Define and utilize the Communication Bubble
- Define Total Communication and explain its importance
- Describe how to incorporate these practices into your communication with an individual with CHARGE Syndrome.
- Apply theories of deafblind communication to students with CHARGE Syndrome.
- Describe several behavioral/personality characteristics of individuals with CHARGE syndrome
- Identify common sources of pain in individuals with CHARGE syndrome, and explain why it is important to pay attention to pain.
- List a variety of teaching strategies/intervention approaches to helping an individual with CHARGE syndrome who is experiencing pain or displaying unusual behavior.
- List strategies to assist individuals with CHARGE syndrome with social/emotional skill development.
- Describe the differences between motor milestones (gross and fine) of typical children and of children with CHARGE syndrome
- Explain some reasons why attachment might be difficult for a child with CHARGE syndrome.