What is the Perkins-Roman CVI Range Endorsement?
The Perkins-Roman CVI Range® Endorsement is a process to evaluate whether you can demonstrate competency in administering the CVI Range.
Please note: The CVI Range is an "instrument used to perform a functional vision assessment...and is constructed with a specific purpose in mind: to determine the degree of impact or extent of effect, of CVI" (Roman-Lantzy, 2018). This assessment tool is but one of many that should be included when assessing a child with a visual impairment. As per IDEA, educational teams "must use a variety of assessment tools and strategies to gather relevant functional, developmental, and academic information about the child that may assist in determining whether the child is a child with a disability and the educational needs of the child." (IDEA)
The CVI Range is in no way a stand-alone assessment for a child with CVI.
Why is Perkins offering the Perkins-Roman CVI Range® Endorsement?
In addition to a number of informal measures and data collection that can be used in a comprehensive process, Perkins believes that the CVI Range® is the only formal educational assessment tool available to assess a child with CVI.
Perkins has determined that demonstrated competency in the CVI Range® is necessary in order to ensure that The Range is appropriately used to provide assessment and intervention for students with CVI.
*Please note: while Perkins believes that all children with CVI should have an educational team member who has received the Perkins-Roman CVI Endorsement, this should not replace the teacher of the visually impaired. A student with visual impairments should always have a TVI on his/her team.
If I get the Perkins-Roman CVI Range® Endorsement, what does it mean?
The Perkins-Roman CVI Range® Endorsement means that you have demonstrated competency in administering the CVI Range. In other words, you have shown that you can score the Range appropriately for an individual student — given a parent interview and videos of Dr. Roman conducting the assessment. Many individuals have learned about the CVI Range® but have had little practice in using it. In order to obtain the endorsement, you need to have demonstrated experience in scoring the range reliably.
Where do I go to apply for the Perkins-Roman CVI Range® Endorsement?
Visit our website to apply for the endorsement.
What is the Endorsement Application Process?
- Application — the application is really a screening to determine if the applicant has had enough experience to pursue the endorsement. For example, if someone has never administered the CVI Range® they would not pass the application.
- Knowledge and Skills Test — this is a test to determine that the applicant has a basic knowledge of CVI.
- Assessment of two student videos — you will be provided with two students videos to conduct the CVI Range® Assessment. Each student video is accompanied by a parent interview. You will see Dr. Roman conducting the assessment of the child and will score the child according to your understanding of the CVI Range®.
Submission of 3 recommendation letters — you will be asked to submit 3 letters of recommendation: 1 from a parent, 1 from a professional and the third one is your choice.
Read more on guidelines for the recommendation letters.
Does the Perkins-Roman CVI Range® Endorsement mean that I am an expert in CVI?
No. It means that you have demonstrated competency in administering the CVI Range®. CVI is a very complex topic and there is much to be learned. However, by obtaining the endorsement, you have shown that you can assess a child appropriately and reliably.
How long does the endorsement last?
The endorsement lasts for five years from the date it was awarded.
How do I renew my endorsement?
When it is time to renew, log into your endorsement account to access the renewal process. Once logged in you will pay the renewal fee ($125) and score two videos using the CVI Range. Once you have scored the videos successfully your endorsement will be renewed.
What are micro-credentials? What is the difference between micro-credentials and the endorsement?
Perkins offers micro-credentials for completing steps of the endorsement as follows:
- CVI Basics micro-credential is awarded when the Knowledge and Skills test is passed
- CVI Proficiency micro-credential is awarded when the CVI online or onsite class is completed and passed
- CVI Assessment micro-credential is awarded when the videos are scored in the passing range
For an individual who is working on the endorsement, micro-credentials are a way of demonstrating that he or she is working toward the endorsement.